Online learning describes the education that occurs through the internet on an electronic device. It can supplement a high school classroom experience, enable busy adults to earn a college degree or teach employees new job skills. A variety of online learning tools improve eLearning, including seven features that benefit all students in 2018.
- Digital Textbooks Improve Information Access
Digital textbooks include interactive information students may access from almost any device. As they read through the book, they may click on links, videos and words to research and discover more in-depth information about the subject. This instant access satisfies curiosity and expands a student’s understanding of the subject.
Because digital textbooks cost almost 50 percent less than traditional textbooks, they give a greater number of students access to an online education. Combined with the interactive options, this eLearning tool opens educational doors and provides information access to more students than ever before.
- Microlearning Boosts Knowledge Retention
While traditional learning requires students to sit through and digest long lectures, microlearning breaks large chunks of information into easily digestible small pieces. Microlearning features a variety of tools such as:
- Short exercises, including games and social interactions.
- Educational videos on any topic.
- Presentations from professors, mentors, businesspeople and coaches.
- Visuals such as graphs, pictures and infographics.
- Quizzes that verify understands and provide instant feedback.
Because of microlearning, students can learn little bits of knowledge in one sitting or throughout the day on work breaks, during their commute or in a classroom. This tool helps them retain more information and understand a subject one short activity at a time.
- Games Teach Real-World Skills
Many online education classes encourage students to play games during class. The gamification trend will continue in 2018 because games teach real-world skills.
- Students hone their critical thinking and problem-solving skills as they achieve objectives, which become increasingly challenging as the players advance through the levels.
- Games also reinforce class content and ensure students understand the material
- Instructors utilize games to teach students team building and social skills, too, that enhance a student’s work environment, productivity and people skills.
For all learnings, games teach real-world skills and remain a valuable online learning tool.
- Webinars Reach All Learning Styles
With a webinar, instructors customize information and deliver it in a unique format. The webinars they record may include whiteboard videos, instructive manuals and informative graphics that share information in an effective way.
Because webinars use multimedia, they enable students of all learning styles to process and retain information.
- Auditory learners hear the instructor speak and may listen to music as they learn.
- Visual learners appreciate helpful graphs, pictures and charts that use bright colors and appealing fonts.
- Kinesthetic learners may move, draw or tinker as needed while watching the webinar.
Because webinars appeal to all learners, they’re invaluable in eLearning. They enable online education to reach more students in an efficient and effective manner.
- Podcasts Encourage Education on the Go
Podcasts enable students to learn with minimal disruption to daily life. Instead of being tied to a specific class time, students may listen to instruction anytime and from anywhere. They can digest podcasts from almost any device as they exercise, do household chores or drive to work.
The versatility of this medium improves information digestion. It’s also a practical way to deliver and receive information. Podcasts expands access to online learning, too, since students take the classes with them as they live daily life.
- Augmented Reality Provides a 3D Education
Augmented Reality (AR) adds a layer of real-world reality to the classroom. Instructors can include AR technology on websites, apps and other educational tools, allowing students to see, touch and hear the subject as they engage with the material.
From their device, students can explore deep space, climb mountains or hear the rainforest both during classes and as they explore a subject on their own time. AR expands their classroom and helps them dive deeper into the subject matter from their homes, backyards, commuter trains or anywhere.
- Social Sharing Connects Students
Students can learn from and interact with other students thanks to social sharing options. They may answer polls, rate videos and debate concepts as they interact online. Social sharing provides student connection, expand educational opportunities and personalizes the eLearning experience.
Students of all ages use online learning to earn degrees or expand skills. Seven powerful tools improve and enhance their educational experience in 2018.